Tuesday, August 19, 2014

NYC India Independence Day Parade 2014

I felt the need of blogging again after significantly long time. I am in New Jersey for a year now. Time flies by fast. Each day is new and different. I was at Indian Independence Day parade at New York City yesterday. We enjoyed watching Daler Mehndi perform his unique punjabi mix of songs. We were glad to see Sunny Deol, Leander Paes, Raveena Tandon and few other Television personalities right in front of us. The kids came out in us and we were waiving hands to all the stalwarts as if we were handed few seconds of stardom for free.The cultural program, hallmark of all such celebration, really made my wife feel good. She liked it even more because she wore a new dress and was looking gorgeous.

We missed the actual parade altogether as we were short of time. I heard through the news that it was lot good. We did try Indian food in the stalls nearby. I didn't like the food stalls as the food was not cheap and they had very few unique Indian food to try. The cloth stall was not at all happening. I would have loved to see Indian hand looms line up on the madison avenue. The state hand looms are popular among so many fairs a.k.a. "mela" across the nation, especially in smaller towns. I remember Khadi Gram Udyog would set up big stalls in Bokaro (my home town) each year and the city used to crowd at those stalls for cheap and good quality clothes.

The parade reminds where I belong to in spite of where I eventually want to belong to. In modern demarcation of state and countries, both differs significantly and that's the big deal. For many people of Indian Origin, an event like this is a big deal. It may be the only way to stay relevant to their ancestors and roots. For me, it was more about hanging out in the Sun.








No comments:

Post a Comment